[FoRK] [FoSDW] Hot Trend: Tapping the Power of Cold to Lose Weight, Brown Fat and Thermal Dieting

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 2 13:40:36 PST 2013

I can definitely see that.  I get a little of that when I get around to kayaking.  Bay water feels warm then when spray and wind
are chilling me.  A couple years ago, kayaked the approach to SF Airport against strong wind (20+mph) at about 55F I think.
Felt pretty good, even at the end when a 6'+ wave rolled me.  Water felt warm at that point.

Did you swim with just swim trunks or a shortie wetsuit or something?

In Orange County, the water's going to be warmer than Santa Cruz, although still cold outside of summer peak I understand.

Scuba diving in Hawaii has generally been 79-80F.  Some people wear wetsuits there, which is odd to me.  I never felt the
slightest bit chilly, even at 110 ft.

What's the optimal cool water swim temp?  I would guess 60-70F. 50F seems too cold without protection for more than 30 minutes
probably, although people swim the SF Bay and maybe some of those don't have wetsuits.

Stephen