[FoRK] map search

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 2 13:49:09 PST 2013

It's easy to compute distance between zip codes, and distance between geographic points.  Although apparently complex to handle
all real-world data and cases, facilities to generate point to point distance are available. What you need is a cached database
with a certain useful resolution of a few blocks that maps distances to addresses.  This can probably be done in a chunky way to
keep the mesh density and overall size of the data down.

In other words, chunk all addresses into geographic square nodes, then use mapping services to establish routes with nearby
nodes and identify the long-range paths to the segmented sets of all nodes.

Or, cache actual path lookups as they are requested.

Traditionally, zip code distance, since it is easily available with public data, was used for this kind of thing maybe augmented
with geographic/crow distance.  Actual driving distance is more difficult to have available for all possible options.  So far.
Especially difficult to make fully informed computations with traffic, time of day intended, construction, accidents, etc.  But
possible and something we will have soon.

Stephen