[FoRK] Hot Trend: Tapping the Power of Cold to Lose Weight, Brown Fat and Thermal Dieting

Kelley Howell kcwalker at inkworkswell.com
Sun Mar 3 04:36:38 PST 2013

Two resources for this sort of stuff.

Lyle McDonald's stuff for bullshit detection in diet fads:
www.bodyrecomposition.com. He has a new book out on stubborn fat loss for
athletes and covers the recent research on BAT - brown adipose tissue.

Alex Hutchinson's, _Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?_ busts a lot of
persistent myths with fairly good coverage of the research.

If I remember correctly, there's a very slight advantage to cold where you
burn only slightly more calories. And it's worth it to drink very cold
water if you're counting on every last calorie burn. Lyle works with people
who're trying to get down to insanely low body fat levels so even <100
calories can count for a lot with them.

On a related note, it's also worth reading a couple of books about the
complete lack of science undergirding most of the claims about what counts
as a healthy body weight. The best is written by a guy who runs an exercise
science lab at University of Virginia. Can't think of the title offhand but
I'll look it up if anyone's interested.