[FoRK] map search

Kelley Howell kcwalker at inkworkswell.com
Sun Mar 3 04:43:44 PST 2013

I'm working on interface/interaction design. At this level, I'm talking
about the best way to design a map pin. E.g.,using a pin that works with
the human preference for the canonical view takes less cognitive work for
the user, which would be a good thing if the user is working with a complex
map. Or, research on whether a left, right, bottom pane for displaying
text-based listing is best in terms of task completion rates - the same way
we know the best way to position form labels to improve task completion rates.

I was more interested in your own personal experience using maps and what
you hate/like. If you happen to have stumbled over or know of interaction
design patterns/UX design patterns for map-based search that would be
awesome, but I was assuming from my search that isn't much out there.