[FoRK] Hot Trend: Tapping the Power of Cold to Lose Weight, Brown Fat and Thermal Dieting

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 3 09:13:11 PST 2013

On 3/3/13 4:36 AM, Kelley Howell wrote:
> Two resources for this sort of stuff.
>
> Lyle McDonald's stuff for bullshit detection in diet fads: www.bodyrecomposition.com. He has a new book out on stubborn fat
> loss for athletes and covers the recent research on BAT - brown adipose tissue.

I am definitely a "stubborn fat loss for athletes" case.  I virtually never gain or lose weight.  I haven't fluctuated more than
10 lbs. in over 10 years.
Others I observe can magically transform in no time.

On the other hand, I have handily increased my cardio efficiency and strength.  Bike riding is a bit of a problem now because I
can only stress my cardio now on inclines, 6-7% incline on one of my routes.

Going for a steep hike now.

> Alex Hutchinson's, _Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?_ busts a lot of persistent myths with fairly good coverage of the
> research.
>
> If I remember correctly, there's a very slight advantage to cold where you burn only slightly more calories. And it's worth it
> to drink very cold water if you're counting on every last calorie burn. Lyle works with people who're trying to get down to
> insanely low body fat levels so even <100 calories can count for a lot with them.

While exercising vigorously, which I've read in the past outputs up to 20x more heat than when sedentary, mild cold probably has
a mild effect most of the time.

> On a related note, it's also worth reading a couple of books about the complete lack of science undergirding most of the
> claims about what counts as a healthy body weight. The best is written by a guy who runs an exercise science lab at University
> of Virginia. Can't think of the title offhand but I'll look it up if anyone's interested.

There was just a study that the most healthy body weight, in terms of life expectancy, is probably heavier than the "ideal" body
weights listed.  I think this is definitely true for middle age, not that I don't want to be lighter again for running
efficiency.  From what I've observed and read about, it is definitely better to have some reserves if and when you are seriously
sick.  A temporary malfunction in digestion or other major stress can be ridden out better if you have plenty of distributed
internal nourishment and energy reserves.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/01/02/168437030/research-a-little-extra-fat-may-help-you-live-longer

As is pointed out, it is much better to be aerobically in shape than to be thin.

It's better if you are stranded on a desert island also.  ;-)  Or suddenly have to travel 100 miles on foot.  Zombie apocalypse
and all that.  I'm just sayin...

> At 02:24 PM 3/2/2013, Stephen Williams wrote:
Whatever email client you use mangled this badly...