[FoRK] map search

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Sun Mar 3 13:40:35 PST 2013

Good point.  Actualy Layar is like an onion--lots of layers which pretty
much screws up any usefulness.  Wikitude also has filters, but the
content is so spatially meaningless that it doesn't really matter that
someone posted a youtube video from 4 miles away that was actually taken
50 miles away, but just uploaded from 4 miles away.

Google Indoor Maps are very promising, though they need to support and
indoor augmented reality model rather than the spatial translation
between flat and real.

Speaking of which, the ability to read flat maps and translate what you
are seeing into realspace/3d is often cited as a top issue.  In fact, I
think there's a bunch of meme gifs making fun of people that I'm too
lazy to look up.

My last company was all about creating annotations on physical,
near-sight, contextual items and tying physical objects to online
livestreams without QR codes or GPS locations (though we filtered things
by it underneath the covers).   We used the Justin Bieber example too,
not because it was common, but because he really did show up at Pizza
Port at that exact bench. http://www.keroseneandamatch.com/

Greg