[FoRK] JPMORGAN: We're Not Far From A 'Picture-Perfect World', Re: Obama wins? Deficit now cut by $4 trillion

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 9 10:41:10 PST 2013

Ouch.  What happened to the predicted doom and gloom and FUD?

http://www.businessinsider.com/jpmorgan-sees-picture-perfect-world-2013-3

> JPMORGAN: We're Not Far From A 'Picture-Perfect World'
> Matthew Boesler    | Mar. 8, 2013, 12:31 PM | 3,494 | 17
>
> This is one of the more bullish takes we've heard lately on the way things are shaping up across global markets, courtesy of
> the equity derivatives team at JPMorgan (led by Michiro Naito).
>
>> In the picture-perfect world: We are all aware that the equity market looks "overheated" and that there are many stumbling
>> blocks ahead, as we argued last week. The uncertainty surrounding the US sequestration and Italian election looms large, not
>> to mention potential oppositions to Abe's TPP drive from within his own party.
>>
>> What we might have learned in the past week, however, is that as long as economic recovery stays in its track, the equity
>> market, albeit subject to short-term corrections, will likely steam ahead.
>>
>> So let us assume that sequestration will become less of an issue and US economic growth remains intact. We will also assume
>> that Italy will not abandon Euro and Abe’s economic agenda will receive approval from inside and out.
>>
>> While this may sound all too picture-perfect, it is by no means unrealistic, in our view. And if we are right, comparing the
>> current levels to the levels seen from 2005 to 2007 may become much more reasonable.
>

> Sequestration, Italian elections, and Abenomics.
>
> Coincidentally, notably pessimistic PIMCO bond manager Bill Gross just doubled his U.S. GDP forecast today.

Ah, here they are, sort of:
http://www.businessinsider.com/wall-streets-most-worrying-charts-2013-3
> Wall Street's Brightest Minds Reveal The Charts That Worry Them Most
> Matthew Boesler    | Mar. 1, 2013, 8:06 PM | 359,264 | 5
>
> Laenulfean / Flickr
> With optimism resurfacing over the global economy and the perception that major tail risks in the United States, the euro
> zone, and China have been mostly squared away, what's left to worry about?
>
> We posed the question to our favorite analysts, economists, and traders across Wall Street – and we were surprised at the
> number of people who declined to give an answer, telling us that they just couldn't really think of anything too worrying
> right now.
>
> However, we still got plenty of responses.
>
> While general developments in the world's largest economies seem encouraging, there may be several reasons to be concerned
> lurking just beneath the surface.

I don't think that French competitiveness is a big issue.  What's your favorite scary chart here?