[FoRK] FoRK Orphans

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 9 17:20:11 PST 2013

Unless you mean a CNAME, a "redirect" would be at the web server level.

But look at the following.  Is the server dual-homed, or did someone forget to remove a zone line?
A client is allowed to use any A record returned...

dig www.xent.com

; <<>> DiG 9.7.6-P1 <<>> www.xent.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.xent.com.            IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.xent.com.        3571    IN    A    66.96.163.141
www.xent.com.        3571    IN    A    69.55.232.243

;; Query time: 212 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar  9 17:18:08 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 62

mq:pic sdw$ dig xent.com

; <<>> DiG 9.7.6-P1 <<>> xent.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xent.com.            IN    A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xent.com.        2673    IN    A    69.55.232.243

;; Query time: 152 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar  9 17:18:15 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 42