[FoRK] Women With Both High Math and Verbal Ability Appear Less Likely to Choose Science Careers Because Their Dual Skills Confer More Career Options

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Mon Apr 8 14:01:27 PDT 2013

On 4/8/2013 1:52 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

 > http://www.news.pitt.edu/women_STEM
 >
 > Women With Both High Math and Verbal Ability Appear Less Likely to Choose
 > Science Careers Because Their Dual Skills Confer More Career Options

Is this not also true of men who have both high verbal and math skills?

I wonder what careers in particular they choose instead of science. I
assume they are careers that pay better.

In that case, why are we trying to convince women to choose lower paying
careers?

Maybe the problem is actually whether this society (in particular US
society) values science as it ought to?

- Joe