[FoRK] Women With Both High Math and Verbal Ability Appear Less Likely to Choose Science Careers Because Their Dual Skills Confer More Career Options

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 8 14:06:45 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 02:01:27PM -0700, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> On 4/8/2013 1:52 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > http://www.news.pitt.edu/women_STEM
> >
> > Women With Both High Math and Verbal Ability Appear Less Likely to Choose
> > Science Careers Because Their Dual Skills Confer More Career Options
>
> Is this not also true of men who have both high verbal and math skills?

Probably. I would like to see similar studies done on that.

> I wonder what careers in particular they choose instead of science. I
> assume they are careers that pay better.

Probably.

> In that case, why are we trying to convince women to choose lower paying
> careers?

Probably because we want to insult their intelligence.

> Maybe the problem is actually whether this society (in particular US
> society) values science as it ought to?

Indeed. Unfortunately, feedback to that is considerably delayed.
And the culprits will lack the mental wherewhithal to make the
connection, or, rather, they expect that nobody else will make
the connection, in time.