[FoRK] Raspberry Pi + Qt5 + OpenGL = awesome

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Apr 11 21:58:54 PDT 2013

> On 4/11/2013 4:46 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>
> > You might need to use objective-c
>
> I somehow seem fated/doomed to learn every single programming language ever invented.
>
> I've been learning Ruby because a friend is using that for his startup. At SLAC I use mostly Python (and some C++). But now I'm
> being forced (at SLAC) to learn PHP because that's what we use for server side development.
>
> Somehow I've never been in a job where I used LISP. Which is weird because I have a real fondness for LISP.
>
> My very least favorite language of all time? C++. By FAR. I'd rather write FORTRAN 66 than C++. With Hollerith constants and
> everything. NOT KIDDING.

You should reconsider with modern tools.

I think that is all about the libraries and frameworks, and classes that other people in the project are writing, that are usually
the issue.
Modern C++11, with STL, and/or Qt, is actually nice.  It is usually the other code you have to deal with that is awful.
Auto, lambdas, move semantics (&&), shared_ptr<>, etc. are all nice upgrades.
Qt C++ is not only an OS layer, but they have their own integrated String and collection classes.  They have one of the best object
/ storage semantics: shallow copy, deep copy on write, with thread-safe reference counting.  That constitutes a dialect of C++ in
effect, almost at the level of Objective C, with which it shares some runtime binding flavor.