[FoRK] Speaking of Qt

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Fri Apr 12 00:40:18 PDT 2013

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4424

an across this <http://oddbill.com/2007/07/04/programmer-archaeologist/> while
doing some research recently:

In Verner Vinge’s space opera A Deepness in the Sky, he proposes that one
of this future’s most valuable professions is that of
Programmer-Archaeologist. Essentially, the layers of accreted software in
all large systems are so deep, inter-penetrating, idiosyncratic and
inter-dependent that it has become impossible to just re-write them for
simplicity’s sake – they genuinely can’t be replaced without wrecking the
foundations of civilization. The Programmer-Archaeologist churns through
this maddening nest of ancient languages and hidden/forgotten tools to
repair existing programs or to find odd things that can be turned to
unanticipated uses.

>From *A Deepness in the Sky* by Verner Vinge:

“The word for all this is ‘mature programming environment.’ Basically, when
hardware performance has been pushed to its final limit, and programmers
have had several centuries to code, you reach a point where there is far
more significant code than can be rationalized. The best you can do is
understand the overall layering, and know how to search for the oddball
tool that may come in handy -”

Such an interesting possible future. Hopefully we can avoid it with better
code data mining techniques and eventually AI. But if not, is it possible
that future programmers will be more like scavengers looking for
interesting tidbits of code to reuse rather than producing new code from
scratch?