[FoRK] Speaking of Qt

Joseph S. Barrera III joe.barrera.iii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:16:35 PDT 2013

On 4/12/2013 12:50 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

 > One hopes that *Modularity* and *Refactoring* is the answer.

I should expand and expound. One of my earliest programming jobs (for
NASA, contracted for by Harvey Mudd) was to convert a mathematics
package (matlab,
http://www.math.hmc.edu/computing/support/applications/matlab/) from
FORTRAN to Pascal. This turned out to be pretty straightforward (except
when I need to do raw input/output which required a dip into VAX system
services). It was not hard to translate the core IP from one language to
another.

And, as it turns out, it was not hard for others to replicate that core
IP independently as open source.

I guess my point is: now that we write software in high level languages,
and as people are willing to recode important functionality as open
source, the job of a programmer linguist gets easier and easier.

- Joe