[FoRK] Raspberry Pi + Qt5 + OpenGL = awesome

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Fri Apr 12 07:57:49 PDT 2013

On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> You should reconsider with modern tools.
>
> I think that is all about the libraries and frameworks, and classes that other people in the project are writing, that are usually the issue.
> Modern C++11, with STL, and/or Qt, is actually nice.

STL is still broken for some common C++11 tool chains. GCC 4.8, for example.

C++11 is pretty nice feature-wise but it would be even nicer if tool chains could optionally restrict the language to a pure C++11 construction (it is becoming a Perl-esque "many ways to do something" language) and the syntax refactored (at which point it would no longer be C++).

As another observation, POSIX interfaces become less useful every year. In many cases they no longer adequately capture and expose the functionality and behavior of a modern operating system kernel.