[FoRK] C++11 / STL, Re: Raspberry Pi + Qt5 + OpenGL = awesome

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 12 10:57:46 PDT 2013

On 4/12/13 7:57 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> You should reconsider with modern tools.
>>
>> I think that is all about the libraries and frameworks, and classes that other people in the project are writing, that are usually the issue.
>> Modern C++11, with STL, and/or Qt, is actually nice.
>
> STL is still broken for some common C++11 tool chains. GCC 4.8, for example.

Since STL is effectively part of the language now, C++11 conformance includes STL.  Perhaps you mean that stand lone STL
distributions won't work on C++11?  I haven't seen the need so far since it is part of the C++ library now, as far as I've
needed.  There seems to be a good flow of Boost -> C++ library, although I'm not sure how that will work now that C++11 has
adopted modified versions of STL + Boost.

Are you talking about using older stand alone STL distributions?  Or about something missing or not working in C++11?

Because of move semantics, it would be odd to use a pre-C++11 STL or other template library unless you just have to run
unmodified legacy code.  New versions have been thought out more and they use move semantics and other new features to be much
more efficient.

http://blog.smartbear.com/software-quality/bid/167271/The-Biggest-Changes-in-C-11-and-Why-You-Should-Care

> C++11 is pretty nice feature-wise but it would be even nicer if tool chains could optionally restrict the language to a pure C++11 construction (it is becoming a Perl-esque "many ways to do something" language) and the syntax refactored (at which point it would no longer be C++).

Compilers often warn persistently of deprecated features.  And some features have been removed.

> As another observation, POSIX interfaces become less useful every year. In many cases they no longer adequately capture and expose the functionality and behavior of a modern operating system kernel.

If you want that, you probably want something like Qt.  The world is now very big compared to Posix.  OpenGL, networking of
various types, etc.