[FoRK] C++11 / STL, Re: Raspberry Pi + Qt5 + OpenGL = awesome

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Fri Apr 12 12:05:30 PDT 2013

On 4/12/2013 10:57 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
 > On 4/12/13 7:57 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
 >> On Apr 11, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
 >>> You should reconsider with modern tools.
 >>>
 >>> I think that is all about the libraries and frameworks, and classes
that other people in the project are writing, that are usually the issue.
 >>> Modern C++11, with STL, and/or Qt, is actually nice.
 >>
 >> STL is still broken for some common C++11 tool chains. GCC 4.8, for
example.

 > Since STL is effectively part of the language now, C++11 conformance
includes STL.  Perhaps you mean that stand lone STL distributions won't
work on C++11?  I haven't seen the need so far since it is part of the
C++ library now, as far as I've needed. There seems to be a good flow of
Boost -> C++ library, although I'm not sure how that will work now that
C++11 has adopted modified versions of STL + Boost.

On http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.8/cxx0x_status.html it says "GCC provides
experimental support for the 2011 ISO C++ standard." That "experimental"
doesn't sound so good.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/status.html#status.iso.2011
shows stuff that's still missing.

Maybe in another year?