[FoRK] Raspberry Pi + Qt5 + OpenGL = awesome

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Fri Apr 12 12:50:05 PDT 2013

Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
"I don't actually know how I ended up here. I started off as a kernel
hacker, writing drivers and other interrupt-savy code, including
assembly when needed. Now I'm like 14 levels of abstraction above that.
Hell, I'm even writing web stuff now, which (deep down) just doesn't
seem nearly as hard core as writing device drivers. What a long strange
trip it's been. If I'm still programming at 65"

I was 65 when I quit.  I was writing web stuff.  I agree it's not nearly as hard core as when I started.  I started writing assembly to verify the computer did what it was supposed to do, CDC 1604 then CDC 3600.  Then I graduated to writing assembly OS code for the CDC 7600 MCU (AKA master control unit).  The MCU controlled and refreshed the display before the characters faded (by drawing characters as vectors), passed all the I/O requests from the central hardware to the other control units, and had to answer all sync requests from the other control units, all in 8K of 12 bit words.  After that every thing got easier.

Peace
Marty Halvorson