[FoRK] Bitcoin: "tied cryptologically to all the criminal activities that contributed to its shared value"

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Mon Apr 15 21:50:16 PDT 2013

"tied cryptologically to all the criminal activities that contributed to
its shared value"

Greg, you've seen this, but I post this for folks on this list who haven't.

I'm curious if anyone can convincingly refute the following statements
from this article. Oh, and also note:
http://www.aclu.org/blog/technology-and-liberty-national-security/new-documents-suggest-irs-reads-emails-without-warrant

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=219284

".... In order to do this the system that implements the currency must
maintain and expose a full and complete record of each and every
transfer from the origin of that particular coin forward!

"This is the only way I can know that nobody else was presented the same
token before I was, and that the last transfer made of that token was to
you.  I must know with certainty that both of these conditions are true,
and then to be able to spend that coin I must make the fact that I hold
it and you transferred it to me known to everyone as well.

"Now consider the typical clandestine transaction -- Joe wishes to buy a
bag of pot, which happens to be illegal to transact.  He has Bitcoins to
buy the pot with.  He finds a dealer willing to sell the pot despite it
being illegal to do so, and transfers the coins to the dealer.  The
dealer must verify the block chain of the coins to insure that he is not
being given coins that were already spent on gasoline or that Joe didn't
counterfeit them, and then he transfers the pot to Joe.  There is now an
indelible and permanent record of the transfer of funds and that record
will never go away.

"This creates several problems for both Joe and the dealer.  The dealer
can (and might) take steps such as using "throw-away" wallets to try to
unlink the transfer from his person, but that's dangerous.  In all
jurisdictions "structuring" transactions to evade money laundering or
reporting constraints is a separate and unique crime and usually is a
felony.  Therefore, the very act of trying to split up transactions or
use of "throw-away" wallets in and of itself is likely to be ruled a
crime, leaving any party doing that exposed to separate and distinct
criminal charges (along with whatever else they can bust you for.)

"Second, due to the indelible nature of the records you're exposed for
much longer that with traditional currencies to the risk of a bust and
in many cases you might be exposed for the rest of your life.  In
particular if there is a tax evasion issue that arises you're in big
trouble because there is no statute of limitations on willful
non-reporting of taxes in the United States, along with many other
jurisdictions.  Since the records never go away your exposure, once you
engage in a transaction that leads to liability, is permanent.

"Third, because Bitcoin is not state-linked and thus fluctuates in value
there is an FX tax issue.  Let's say you "buy" Bitcoins (whether for
cash or in exchange for a good or service you provide) at a time when
they have a "value" of $5 each against the US dollar.  You spend them
when they have a "value" of $20 each.  You have a capital gain of $15.
At the time of the sale you have a tax liability too, and I'm willing to
bet you didn't keep track of it or report it.  That liability never goes
away as it was wilfully evaded and yet the ability to track the
transaction never goes away either! [...]"

 > Bitcoin, while elegant in theory, is blood money, tied
cryptologically to all the criminal activities that contributed to its
shared value--with its participants condoning that criminal activity by
being compensated through accretive value by turning a blind eye to that
very same criminal activity.