[FoRK] Fwd: Fwd: [Mailman-Users] 2.0r1: admin pages don't gork passwords

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon May 6 16:11:12 PDT 2013

> On 5/6/2013 2:42 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>
> > OH, you stick your period punctuation outside of the quotes. Is that legal or are you just making it easy for people to double
> click?
>
> Actually, I was following your lead :-)
>
> But my personal rule about quotes and punctuation is:
>
> If what's inside the quote marks is an actual quote, then I put the punctuation inside, old-school.
> If what's inside the quote marks a token or reserved word, I put the punctuation outside, to make clear that the punctuation is
> not part of the token.

Yes, I tend to follow this, sometimes showing off my old-school savvy, sometimes not, depending.

Do you put two spaces between sentences?  (There is an argument that it is no longer needed past the fixed-width actually typewriter
case, but I miss it visually when there isn't a wider space.  It is only true you can avoid it if you have a typeset system good
enough to do an emdash kind of expansion of a single space.)

Use the Oxford comma consistently?  (How could you not?!)

And the real test of literotechno savvy: When you end a sentence with a URL/URI, where do you put the period?
The only proper choice:
Try this link: http://sdw.st .
Or
Try this link: http://sdw.st

Always wrong unless you assume email / document readers that heuristically strip the trailing period:
Try this link: http://sdw.st.

And of course valid URLs can't include bare unencoded spaces etc. even though you can enter them into a browser.