[FoRK] Fwd: Fwd: [Mailman-Users] 2.0r1: admin pages don't gork passwords

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Mon May 6 16:34:27 PDT 2013

On 5/6/2013 4:11 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

 > Do you put two spaces between sentences?  (There is an argument that
it is no longer needed past the fixed-width actually typewriter case,
but I miss it visually when there isn't a wider space.  It is only true
you can avoid it if you have a typeset system good enough to do an
emdash kind of expansion of a single space.)

I don't. Perhaps because I never took a typing class. I don't have
strong feelings one way or the other about it. It does seem a bit
unnecessary.

 > Use the Oxford comma consistently?  (How could you not?!)

Absolutely. I put the comma there because it *sounds* like it's there
when you speak.

 > And the real test of literotechno savvy: When you end a sentence with
a URL/URI, where do you put the period?
 > The only proper choice:
 > Try this link: http://sdw.st .
 > Or
 > Try this link: http://sdw.st

This drives me to distraction. I usually omit the period and then feel
vaguely unsettled about it. Sometimes I'll use a space. I never plunk a
period immediately after the URL.

One more thing that drives me to distraction: in the old days you could
use a smiley as a closing paren. (E.g. you could make a joke like this
:-) But now a lot of mail readers will convert the :-) into a picture,
leaving the parentheses unbalanced...

- Joe