[FoRK] End of Sentence Marker, was: Re: Fwd: Fwd: [Mailman-Users] 2.0r1: admin pages don't gork passwords

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon May 6 20:26:45 PDT 2013

I realized that I wasn't clear about the central issue: I find reading
easier and faster when I have twice the inter-word space at the end of a
sentence.  I read a lot, as quickly as I can.  As you all likely know,
proficient readers move their eyes few times per sentence, sensing
multiple words at once.  This is partly controlled by how quickly you
can understand context, the sentence, and the words themselves.  I feel
that I make extra eye movements to find and verify periods, which are
often very tiny, when I don't also have sentence spacing markers.
Delineating the beginning and end of a sentence is a big part of groking
(or gorking) it properly.  Those who see no value in the wide marking
space must be word-by-word readers or somehow similarly insensitive to
taking big bites of text at 1000 wpm.

Whether the source text has two spaces or not is an encoding issue.  The
resulting rendered text must have more than single inter-word spacing to
be read efficiently.  Whether this is 1.5x or 2x or more is up for
debate, but it must be different.

Stephen