[FoRK] End of Sentence Marker, was: Re: Fwd: Fwd: [Mailman-Users] 2.0r1: admin pages don't gork passwords

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 6 22:15:27 PDT 2013

And back to the two-space after a period issue, there was an excellent
debunking of the myth that two spaces are 'wrong."

http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324

And yes, I was an amateur typesetter in high school (yes, real lead type)
and I've written justification algorithms (in 8080 assembly!) for early
proportionally spaced printers.

Short version; original typesetting practice was an "em-space" after a
period -- a space roughly the width of an "m".  Standard spacing between
words was usually an "en-space", a space roughly the width of an n.  An
em-space is typically twice the width of an en-space.

Typewriters used two spaces after a period to mimic the em/en spacing rule.

Starting in the 20th century, especially in periodicals, the extra space
has been trimmed.  By the mid-20th, house style had largely eliminated the
extra spacing after periods.

Ken Meltsner