[FoRK] End of Sentence Marker, was: Re: Fwd: Fwd: [Mailman-Users] 2.0r1: admin pages don't gork passwords

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon May 6 23:24:50 PDT 2013

> On 5/6/2013 8:26 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> > I feel that I make extra eye movements to find and verify periods, which are often very tiny, when I don't also have
> sentence spacing markers.
>
> That's fascinating. The capital letters at the beginning of sentences don't help?

They help, but proper acronyms, nouns (and all nouns in German) are also capitalized, so it isn't as reliable as ".  ".

> I also read very quickly and yet I've never cared about extra spaces after a period.
>
> > Those who see no value in the wide marking space must be word-by-word readers or somehow similarly insensitive to taking big
> bites of text at 1000 wpm.
>
> Not necessarily true. Sometimes I'll walk into an area and I'll have sentences in my brain and I'm not sure where they came
> from -- then I have to look around at all the various sources of text (magazines, package labels, etc) to figure out where
> those sentences came from.

Definitely.  I'm often puzzled why I can't push a door that clearly says "Push" or when the road I'm on says "Wrong Way".
There is a version of this for an omnireader who is ambilextrous, with double ironic meaning:
https://www.google.com/search?q=far+side+school+for+the+gifted

I often register words strongly when sparse scanning, flipping through a book or magazine, or when fast forwarding TV or see
something flash by when driving.  Occasionally it is wrongly recognized, but often I spend a bit of time finding it again to see
what the surrounding text said.  The false recognition can be very certain sometimes, although you can feel the partial
information if you concentrate.