[FoRK] outsourcing back end

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 7 15:54:30 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org>wrote:

> On 5/7/2013 3:38 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
>
> > Way back when, there was at least one CS research project to create a
> > sequential/imperative code tool that created all of the event-driven
> stuff
> > automatically.  Smart compilers usually trump smart developers, after
> all.
>
> That works as long as no one has to read/debug the generated code...

True -- a recurring reason for smart stuff failing in the marketplace, e.g.
Lisp (even with, or especially with, compilation to C) or "upper" CASE
systems.

My current employer has a fairly brilliant product that originated way back
in the glory days of CASE.  We have trouble selling it to new customers at
times, since even if one smart programmer can replace a dozen, it's way,
way easier to find a dozen mediocre programmer than one really smart one.
Not to mention that this gives the prospective customer a single point of
failure if they only have one guru.

Ken