[FoRK] Multicore, async segmented sequential models

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Thu May 9 08:39:54 PDT 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> It was a nice break from diagnosing our MongoDB-problem-of-the-week
> over an EVDO link.  That one had to do with utterly crap locking and concurrency
> behaviour and still isn't fixed yet.

I love MongoDB, it is a remarkable database. There is a school of thought that believes MongoDB started out as an elaborate troll against the database engineering community, a practical joke that escaped the confines of a computer lab and established itself in the wild. Their standards of poor design and incompetent engineering are rigorously maintained in every part of the system.

MongoDB has been invaluable when teaching database engine design. It allows me to tie specific naive design elements you would never expect to see in real systems to real-world database meltdowns and failures. It plays Goofus to the rest of the industry's Gallant.