[FoRK] Multicore, async segmented sequential models

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu May 9 19:14:02 PDT 2013

On 5/9/13 11:35 AM, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

>> Savvy real-world comments on the best of these for different kinds of
>> tasks would be very helpful to avoid recapitulating the pain of wasted
>> exploration.  Most things work well enough in a prototype, and most fail in
>> annoying ways at scale.  These days, we ought to have a rich development
>> and data model, very simple install and management from embedded, single
>> instance, to scaled, redundant, replicating, etc.
>>
>>      Aaron
>> sdw
>>

> Yes, it would be nice, but real experience appears to be more valuable than
> software these days since people often give away the latter.
>
> OrientDB looks interesting as well, and has a business-friendly license (as
> opposed to Neo4J).  Not to mention a relatively broad set of add-ons from
> the Tinkerpop/Blueprints world.

Neo4J seems to have changed their licensing attitude since a year or
more ago that I formed an opinion.
I have particularly tough requirements: I need a solution for (hopefully
millions of) free client apps for mobile, desktop, local servers, and
something very scalable for cloud / service / enterprise use.

Nice.  Can't beat the license.  I vaguely remember seeing the name, but
probably when it was much less mature.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/orient-database/_aTKGbYKDQI
http://www.slideshare.net/graphdevroom/works-with-persistent-graphs-using-orientdb

I'll have to think through the graph link vs. RDF-style URI
alternatives.  Seems equivalent.  Have to look into mapping my extended
model onto it.