[FoRK] Multicore, async segmented sequential models

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Thu May 9 19:27:26 PDT 2013

On May 9, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> SQL has a few good concepts, but pretty much all implementations mimic the major mistakes made in implementing the model, such as fixed format tables.

Fixed format tables? What does that mean?

SQL has quite a few defects, some of which explains the myriad dialects. There are features added in ugly, inconsistent ways for backward compatibility with some existing database too lame to do things the correct way. Parts of the standard exist primarily to paper over deficiencies in early database implementations and hardware environments.

My favorite is that parts of the standard make tacit assumptions about the underlying data structures and algorithms in the implementation that are not required to implement the functionality. As in, those parts do not make sense or in some cases cannot even be mapped to the equivalent functionality in the context of alternative implementations.

I've been waiting for a NoSQL project to implement the functionality of SQL but with a cleaner design but they mostly just seem to implement relatively small subsets.