[FoRK] Electronically varying polarization of light

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue May 14 00:02:25 PDT 2013

A while back I was trying to find this while trying to completely explain how .  No one could identify how this was done.  I did
find the Rapatronic camera shutter, but here are all three main types of effect related to electronically controlling variable
polarization of light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapatronic_camera
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pockels_effect

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-576547.html
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16456
> Post <http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=102157&sid=001fea202d10fcbdf059f46aefe709ca#p102157> Re: HOWTO: Use old active
> shutter on regular LCD monitors! <http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16456#p102157>
> The basic element of a retarderfilm is a quarterwave retarder. It's used to change linear polarization into circular and vice
> versa. A halfwaveretarder is two quarterwaveretarders stacked onto each other.
> The basic element of a polarizer is a linear polarizer. When combinated with a qw-retarder and proper orientation you will have a
> circular polarizer.
> All lcd tv's/monitors in their original shape emitts linear polarized light. The orientation varies and can be 0 or 45°. In order
> to make these into interleaved 3d-monitors the manufacturer applies a u-pol retarderfilm with the alternating pattern that suits
> the monitor. The result for passive 3d-monitors will then be circularly polarized and is the reason why probably all passive
> 3d-monitors/tv-sets are circular polarized.
>
> This trick with a retarderfilm works well because the linear polarized light from the lcd is transformed into circular before
> reaching the first polarizer of the shutterglasses. To be entirely correct a halfwave retarder should be used but is in my
> experience totally unnecessary. Circular polarized light goes easily through a linear polarizer.

Based on this perhaps they don't use anything active, but use a projection LCD or two with alternately circularly polarized filters.

Anyway, good to know the options.