[FoRK] HireRight -- employment background checks -- be prepared to give your ENTIRE work history

Owen Byrne ojbyrne at gmail.com
Tue May 14 13:16:08 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org>wrote:

> I* have accepted an offer at a Company who happens to use HireRight for
> employment background checks.
>
> I had the pleasure of filling their webforms with my ENTIRE work history.
>  There is no cutoff date.  They want it all.
>
> (Well, actually, I stopped at post-graduate school.  Hopefully they don't
> care about the jobs I did while in undergrad, or about the horse stable I
> worked at in high school.)
>
> They also want start/end dates to the month.  Thank goodness I have all my
> email going back to September 1582.
>
> They also phone numbers for all these companies.  It's actually sad how
> many of the companies I've worked for no longer exist... hopefully not my
> fault!
>
> They also want salaries for all these positions?  How am I supposed to
> remember how much I was making in 1992?  The IRS only wants to you keep ~ 7
> years of tax returns.  But I need 20+ years of records for an employment
> background check?
>
> I'm just hoping they don't mix me up with some random Joe Barrera in Texas
> convicted of car theft (or worse, this guy: http://www.sorarchives.com/**
> citydirectory/TX/Irving/Joe_**Barrera_1215957<http://www.sorarchives.com/citydirectory/TX/Irving/Joe_Barrera_1215957>).
> Evidently HireRight is VERY sloppy about verifying that criminal records
> actually apply to potential employees with similar names.
>
> I really am a bit bothered about the verification of salaries.  If all
> companies use such a process, then they don't need to pay you what you're
> worth -- they can conspire to pay you just a bit more (or less!) than you
> were payed in your previous job.  This can lock in existing
> pay-discrimination practices for entire groups of people.
>
> - Joe
>
> * I say "I" but that's just a one-letter shorthand for "a close friend of
> mine".

I just recently did this, and its useful to check the box (available to CA
residents, among others) that requires them to send you a copy of the
result of the background check. In my case they failed to verify a few
items, probably because no one answered the phone. My impression is that
its a half-assed requirement that corporate legal imposes on corporate HR,
which imposes it on the hiring manager, and everyone does the minimum
necessary to comply.

Also you can probably negotiate salary before the background check.
Owen