[FoRK] HireRight -- employment background checks -- be prepared to give your ENTIRE work history

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue May 14 13:46:02 PDT 2013

On 5/14/13 1:16 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org>wrote:
>
>> I* have accepted an offer at a Company who happens to use HireRight for
>> employment background checks.
>>
>> I had the pleasure of filling their webforms with my ENTIRE work history.
>>   There is no cutoff date.  They want it all.

They can have fun with mine.  I could tie them up for hours with nuances
and details and overlap and technicalities.

Government clearance paperwork requires a lot of detail like this plus
travel plus family members plus legal history.  I was faced with this
conundrum at some point:

Was a stepfather born in the _country_ of Hawaii in the 1940's born in
the USA or foreign born?

>> (Well, actually, I stopped at post-graduate school.  Hopefully they don't
>> care about the jobs I did while in undergrad, or about the horse stable I
>> worked at in high school.)
>>
>> They also want start/end dates to the month.  Thank goodness I have all my
>> email going back to September 1582.

I have most of it on my resume so that I have some place that I can
remind myself of the details.

>> They also phone numbers for all these companies.  It's actually sad how
>> many of the companies I've worked for no longer exist... hopefully not my
>> fault!
>>
>> They also want salaries for all these positions?  How am I supposed to
>> remember how much I was making in 1992?  The IRS only wants to you keep ~ 7
>> years of tax returns.  But I need 20+ years of records for an employment
>> background check?

Yearly social security statements should have your actual salary for
each year.

>> I'm just hoping they don't mix me up with some random Joe Barrera in Texas
>> convicted of car theft (or worse, this guy: http://www.sorarchives.com/**
>> citydirectory/TX/Irving/Joe_**Barrera_1215957<http://www.sorarchives.com/citydirectory/TX/Irving/Joe_Barrera_1215957>).
>> Evidently HireRight is VERY sloppy about verifying that criminal records
>> actually apply to potential employees with similar names.

My name is so common that there are many collisions.  Even with the same
middle initial.  A government investigator once asked my ex-wife in Ohio
if I was part of a motorcycle gang.

>> I really am a bit bothered about the verification of salaries.  If all
>> companies use such a process, then they don't need to pay you what you're
>> worth -- they can conspire to pay you just a bit more (or less!) than you
>> were payed in your previous job.  This can lock in existing
>> pay-discrimination practices for entire groups of people.

That's sticky.  Unless you've been consulting recently.  There are a
variety of ways to negotiate this, including "We need to both be happy
for this to be a long relationship."