[FoRK] Get that job at Google

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri May 17 07:44:44 PDT 2013

In my interactions with hiring folks over the past while, I've encountered
something not mentioned in either your or Stephen's post: the GitHub Factor.

Even for mid-level sysadmin/Ops/server-herder positions, hiring managers
are asking for references to one's online body of code and contributions.

I don't know about other folks, but what little code I write is proprietary
or site-specific, because Chef/Puppet = best (FSVO) practices rendered as
reusable code.

Perhaps it serves as a test of enthusiasm, both for open source and for
computing in general.  Sysadmins are a legendarily bitter and grumpy lot,
after all.

"All Software Sucks",
  Aaron