[FoRK] Get that job at Google

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Fri May 17 08:31:26 PDT 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 7:44 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> In my interactions with hiring folks over the past while, I've encountered
> something not mentioned in either your or Stephen's post: the GitHub Factor.

The "github is your resume" practice introduces a questionable selection bias. I've noticed that people working on relevant, cool, hardcore software for their day jobs tend to not use GitHub, certainly not for the kinds of software they work on, and when they do it is for relatively trivial things. Anecdotally, heavy usage of GitHub seems to correlate with people who, for lack of a better word, having technically boring day jobs. It is an outlet for what they don't get to do at work.

It seems like a bad idea to filter out the first group if the goal is to find the best possible or most experienced hire but I see companies do it. There are a lot of domains where virtually all of the best people will be restricted from putting anything relevant to what they do on GitHub.