[FoRK] Get that job at Google

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri May 17 08:43:22 PDT 2013

On 5/17/13 8:31 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On May 17, 2013, at 7:44 AM, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
>> In my interactions with hiring folks over the past while, I've encountered
>> something not mentioned in either your or Stephen's post: the GitHub Factor.
>
> The "github is your resume" practice introduces a questionable selection bias. I've noticed that people working on relevant, cool, hardcore software for their day jobs tend to not use GitHub, certainly not for the kinds of software they work on, and when they do it is for relatively trivial things. Anecdotally, heavy usage of GitHub seems to correlate with people who, for lack of a better word, having technically boring day jobs. It is an outlet for what they don't get to do at work.

Often true.  However, I managed to open source (one new, one branch/rewrite) a couple subprojects while at Sony.  For that
business division, they told me I was the first to successfully get something like that approved.  Somewhat minor things, but
interesting enough.

Right now, I am having something built for security that will be open source.

I'd like to do much more.  There were a number of things I wrote in the past that should have been open source, but I didn't
know how to negotiate with legal and push things through.  And I wasn't at an enlightened company.