[FoRK] Get that job at Google

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Sat May 18 22:16:51 PDT 2013

SO reputation is about the worst thing to judge people on.

It is outrageously easy to get a large amount for contributing trivial
answers. Aside from that, most of the reputation comes from popular
answers, not good answers, and these are rarely (IMO) the same. (Note: I'm
saying after gathering a non-trivial amount of reputation for 8 months or
so, when indeed I was bored at work and had spare time to figure out how to
solve easy things.) You can check out my best answer which shall indeed
confirm that it doesn't take a genius:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1564818/how-to-break-2-loops-in-javascript/1564838#1564838

As for github not being good because you can't upload work to it - this is
a bad arugment. Most of the stuff I have on github doesn't have to do with
my day job. (Infact, none of it does). Most of it is just really trivial
programs that I found convenient to write. So what does that mean? Am I a
great programmer? Or a lazy bored programmer? Or what?

It doesn't say much really. It just says I'm a guy who possibly knows how
to use git, has written one or two basically-trivial python programs, and
possibly uses xmonad. Maybe that's interesting to people, maybe it's not. I
guess in some sense it gives an indication of things I find useful. Notably
it probably says I spend spare time programming, which is probably what
good employers would be most interested in anyway.

And I can't believe that Greg's advice about not saying the names of people
is true. If so, it seems like they're starting off on the wrong foot
anyway; asking questions they don't want the answers to and generally being
misleading. I can't think of a reason it would be bad to be aware of who
works at Google.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Joseph S. Barrera III <joe at barrera.org>wrote:

> On 5/17/2013 4:32 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> > I recently interviewed someone with a score of 89000+ on StackOverflow.
>  We didn't hire him.
>
> Why not? I mean, besides the fact that he already has a full time job. :-)
>
> - Joe

Noon Silk