[FoRK] [info] (highscalability.com) The Secret to 10 Million Concurrent Connections -The Kernel is the Problem, Not the Solution

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue May 21 09:45:39 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 08:55:13AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
> A basic problem with much of networking is the requirement for
> system calls and context switches per packet or at least per
> connection per I/O.  Ideally, you get and async circular buffer of
> shared memory for input and output.  Then you can process many
> packets with infrequent or no system calls.  That's what I want
> anyway.  You can easily do this with communications concentrators,
> turning connection events into messages.  But using exokernel
> methods, this could all be done in a single box efficiently.

Funny you should mention it.  Looks like Stephen Hemminger is reviving
Polyakov and Van Jacobson's netchannels userspace IP stack.
http://www.slideshare.net/shemminger/uio-final
He's at Vyatta, but it's presumably related to Intel's DPDK work.

(Great guy, I was privileged to admin his test servers at the OSDL.)