[FoRK] poor man's PAN

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun May 26 02:54:13 PDT 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 02:30:30AM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:

> > Anyone using such with your mobile devices?
> >
> > Anything good, bad?
>
> I didn't use this kind of connection or device. But if it can talk to the
> world and has your 32g sd card, then certainly a world can talk back to it

It's just a CIFS share over WLAN behind a NAT (probably double NAT,
since most mobile seems to be behind carrier-grade NAT these days).

> and make it share the card with the world, too? Why, this is very
> democratic so no problem at all...

The core idea is to have a wireless personal area network, where
multiple devices can share data over flash. I'd rather wish it
was a 128 GByte SSD, but beigers can't be choosers.

> > Does it run hot, or can you put it into a case
> > clipped to your belt?
>
> Holy fork. You want to clip wifi router to your belt? And 11Ah battery? If

I've bought something like
http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Incredible-Blackberry-chargeable/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/
way back, and it has been indeed quite useful. Holds up for 2-3 days.

However, it's precisely what I was trying to avoid. A MiFi box which
lasts up to 10 h under real-world conditions appears to be just
the ticket.

> this is not a typo, it probably belongs to a motorcycle rather than to a
> human?

LiIon has a lot higher energy density than lead-acide.

> http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3507&directoryId=5009&treeId=3619&tab=0
>
> http://www.amazon.com/WA3220-36-Volt-Battery-Series-Mowers/dp/B007AQZ6VA
>
> http://www.europemotoparts.com/?shop=motopower&pag=webshop&productgroup=BATTERY&brandshop=Motopower&subgroup=Motorcycle%20Parts%20Various
>
> No, not criticizing you. Not at all. More like, I'm amazed. Thrilled.
> Curious. Fascinated. Looking for a role model.
>
> Myself, I would go for battery in a rucksack (so, 10kg is not huge

The nerd factor is Too Damn High! Sorry, no backpack, just
something the size of an old smartphone, and no wires.
And no utility belt a la Batman, please, either.