[FoRK] looking for a secure dumbphone

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 29 05:56:09 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 07:06:40AM -0500, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> I went through this with son #2 last year.  Lots o cheap phones out there
> -- entire continents of non-smartphone users, in fact (Africa and Asia, I
> believe).

Actually, perhaps paradoxically, there are smartphones in Africa -- in
fact multiuser ones (one shared among a group), and capable
of online payment (M-Pesa).

> The hard part is finding one which is optimized for sending text messages
> (those kids!) since there's no data plan subsidy for the full keyboard,
> larger screen, etc.

Yeah, a good (metal?) keyboard would be important.

> If full keyboard's not a requirement, Nokia seems to be the most popular
> cheap phone product these days.

Nokia 100 is a possibility, 6303i would be nicer but not so cheap anymore.

It would be nice to have a secure, ruggedized system, but that's
probably a produce niche reserved for intelligence field guys.