[FoRK] looking for a secure dumbphone

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 29 14:26:16 PDT 2013

I doubt the feature phones are actually more secure than mainstream
phones, assuming you don't load malware.  There were many early bugs in
bluetooth etc. that provided full access to some of those.

Soon, there will be no such thing as a dumb phone if you don't include
low-end Android in "dumb phone".  A year ago, certain companies were
producing phones with older / minimized processors that were targeted
for $100 without subsidy.  That's likely gone way down, plus there is
likely a flood of now-obsolete phones for nothing.

Keyboards wear out and use a lot of screen real estate. Capacitive touch
screens don't.  There are many bluetooth keyboards, perhaps that is a
solution.

There are some waterproof phones and tablets.  Sony is about to start
selling a waterproof tablet in India.

Tracking the sweet spot of low-price vs. functionality would be interesting.

For many, a mobile phone is their communications / computer / Internet /
banking / government access.  At some point, they are going to be
willing to spend at least as much as they do on transportation and a
significant fraction of housing and food to be enabled.  This does not
point toward continued barely-usable feature phones.

sdw