[FoRK] looking for a secure dumbphone

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu May 30 10:09:23 PDT 2013

On 5/30/13 5:25 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 02:26:16PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

>> Tracking the sweet spot of low-price vs. functionality would be interesting.
>>
>> For many, a mobile phone is their communications / computer /
>> Internet / banking / government access.  At some point, they are
>> going to be willing to spend at least as much as they do on
>> transportation and a significant fraction of housing and food to be
>> enabled.  This does not point toward continued barely-usable feature
>> phones.
> At this point I expect to use a headset for telephony, probably
> a hacked Google Glass or similar.

It is apparent that Recon is going to beat Google Glass to market by a year (within 2-4 months) and with a reasonable price
($400-600) and hackable Android out of the box.
Talked to the CTO and/or founder at Google I/O who gave me a sneak peak at the experience.  I have to say I think the higher
mount of Glass is better, but otherwise this seems better in most ways. Removable battery (the module on the other side),
removable unit, etc.  Clever in a lot of ways.

http://www.reconinstruments.com/