[FoRK] today

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri May 31 08:36:08 PDT 2013

I suspect actual experience at Google is uneven depending on where you end up, working with whom, working on what.  Google seems
to have tried better than most to stay meritocratic and effective (contrast with Microsoft, with obvious results),
opportunitiful, and exciting, but all environments have some range of amazing down to soul-killing. Presumably some assignments
are anti-loops also.  Presumably they won't take being fired as an employer as a fatal event toward future relationships.

Seems like a good time to join Apple.  Why join at the peak?  They don't need you or anything at that point and upside is much
less likely.  While flush with cash, at peaks they are more likely to be arrogant.

Join when companies, which you know will survive and succeed eventually, are hurting the most.  Tesla was obvious from the IPO
on, if they had more of what I was interested in.  (I supposed they did if I would have looked / thought about it.)  LinkedIn, etc.