[FoRK] today

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri May 31 10:09:18 PDT 2013

Google is very uneven, only a handful of people are doing anything
boundary-pushing, far under 1%. But the core of the discontinuity it is
that what they try to be and present to the world, and what they
actually are on the inside are WILDLY different things. It's a megacorp
advertising company, and everything they do must feed that beast, and
it's a beast that could be disrupted away very easily.

Apple has a great shares = ( stock_grant / stock_price ) right now, so
that's great, but the culture and that my work will make peoples lives
awesome is much more important to me.

And yes, I'm hiring for people to work on an Apple project. But everyone
on this list is trying to hire aren't they :)

Stephen Williams wrote on 5/31/2013 8:36 AM:
> I suspect actual experience at Google is uneven depending on where you
> end up, working with whom, working on what.  Google seems to have tried
> better than most to stay meritocratic and effective (contrast with
> Microsoft, with obvious results), opportunitiful, and exciting, but all
> environments have some range of amazing down to soul-killing. Presumably
> some assignments are anti-loops also.  Presumably they won't take being
> fired as an employer as a fatal event toward future relationships.
>
> Seems like a good time to join Apple.  Why join at the peak?  They don't
> need you or anything at that point and upside is much less likely.
> While flush with cash, at peaks they are more likely to be arrogant.
>
> Join when companies, which you know will survive and succeed eventually,
> are hurting the most.  Tesla was obvious from the IPO on, if they had
> more of what I was interested in.  (I supposed they did if I would have
> looked / thought about it.)  LinkedIn, etc.
>
> sdw
>
> On 5/31/13 6:35 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>> Google is like Thunderdome, Two FoRKers join, one FoRKer leaves.  I
>> bet Apple could give Google a good run for its money if their stock
>> wasn't in such poor shape.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> On 5/30/2013 6:01 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>>> On 5/30/2013 10:14 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>>
>>>  > The Bay Area FoRKers should be getting together periodically
>>> already...  But we (or at least I) don't.
>>>
>>> It would be easier if all the few remaining non-Google Bay Area FoRKers
>>> would just join Google. That way we could all just meet in the cafeteria
>>> or something.
>>>
>>> To that end, I've decided to join Google, starting on Monday.
>>>
>>> - Joe

Adam L. Beberg