[FoRK] today

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Fri May 31 10:41:27 PDT 2013

On 05/31/2013 10:33 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> SLAC seems cool, but unless they generate some unlikely commercial or
> endowment revenue stream (like Stanford itself, which has both), hard
> to see how it wouldn't constantly degenerate into academic
> backstabbing to preserve funding.

SLAC funding is pretty much all DOE. So you can imagine in the current
political climate how that works out.

We're supposed to be expanding to a new set of hutches but that may be
threatened.

https://news.slac.stanford.edu/features/director-moving-lcls-ii-forward

And as US physics labs go, SLAC is actually doing well. I hear things at
Fermilab, etc are much worse.

- Joe