[FoRK] today

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri May 31 15:09:55 PDT 2013

On 5/31/13 12:05 PM, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:09:18AM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>> And yes, I'm hiring for people to work on an Apple project. But
>> everyone on this list is trying to hire aren't they :)
> Oh, you Silly Valley guys. ;)
> It's beyond me how anything gets done there, with the chronic talent
> shortage (at least while VC money is flowing.)  NYC is worse, though.  No
> idea why it's so hard to lure techies there, but it's making my job harder.

Been there, done that...  A good financial geek friend just escaped to
California from NYC after a year of working on it.

For me, it is vibe, local culture rich in the techie wavelengths,
opportunity for tech/founders vs. finance/execs/corp.
Real substance and value over marketing and appearance and shallow
lemming herds.  13 years ago, I did several passes at fundraising in
NYC, DC, Seattle, and the Bay Area.  The NYC groups (30 or 40 of them)
were all shallow finance types.  On the West Coast, every single
VC/angel was an engineer.  Game over.

Maybe it's better now.  No reason to investigate.