[FoRK] today

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sat Jun 1 12:24:44 PDT 2013

On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:31 AM, "Joseph S. Barrera III" <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> On 6/1/2013 10:25 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>
> > Quality of life [in Seattle + suburbs] is off the charts for a US city, much better than Santa Clara county.
>
> Having lived in both places for many years each, I'd say that statement is highly subjective at best, and certainly untrue in my case.

I would have agreed with you several years ago but it is a more difficult argument to make today. When did you last live in Seattle?

Seattle has been evolving at a frankly amazing rate and in very positive direction. There has been a migration of people and companies from the somewhat dreadful suburbs on the east side (Redmond etc) to the west side (Seattle proper) combined with a large influx of professionals and engineers from SF, Boston, NYC, etc into downtown core and the surrounding suburbs. Neighborhoods have been completely remade in only a few years.

Seattle has been turning into a vastly cleaner/nicer and somewhat cheaper version of San Francisco.

What criteria do most people use for comparing quality of life between cities?