[FoRK] today

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Sat Jun 1 16:55:31 PDT 2013

> I would base it on income disparity. The more, the better, because then
> the more gardeners and servants you can hire.

BTW, my friend highly recommends this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Part-One-ebook/dp/B005FC52L0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370130784&sr=1-1&keywords=wool

As to the rest,

Greg

Yorba Linda is richest U.S. city
Census data shows median household income of $121,075 higher than any
other city in 2006.
   SHARE

By RONALD CAMPBELL / The Orange County Register

Don't bother counting Beemers and Range Rovers. Don't even look for the
priciest houses.

America's highest-income city is Yorba Linda.
Article Tab: YORBA LINDA: A typical remodeled ranch-style home in Yorba
linda.
YORBA LINDA: A typical remodeled ranch-style home in Yorba linda.
CHAS METIVIER, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

So says the U.S. Census Bureau, which reported Tuesday that Yorba Linda
had the highest median household income among more than 500 U.S. cities
in 2006. Newport Beach, traditionally considered Orange County's
wealthiest, ranked third. (See "Median Orange County household incomes,
2006" to see how other O.C. cities ranked)

By a narrower measure, median family income, Newport Beach ranked first
at $147,697, followed by Yorba Linda and Newton, Mass. A household is
one or more persons sharing a house or apartment. A family is two or
more related persons.

Economists said the two cities' housing mix helps explain the finding.

While Newport Beach has many apartments, "Yorba Linda had the policy of
not being friendly to townhomes and apartments," said Esmael Adibi,
director of the A. Gary Anderson Center for Economic Research at Chapman
University. "If you have lots of apartments and townhomes your median
(income) is not going to be as high."

The numbers bear Adibi out. In 2000, the last year for which complete
statistics are available, 44 percent of Newport Beach households were
renters compared with 15 percent in Yorba Linda.

Since then, Yorba Linda has grown primarily through big-lot subdivisions
- and that in turn has drawn families with big incomes.

"If you think about it, the new homes (in Yorba Linda) are a lot more
expensive" than they once were, said Anil Puri, dean of business at Cal
State Fullerton. "So there's a pre-selection of the kind of people who
have moved there in the last five years."

You might call it quiet wealth.

"You go to Newport, and there's cars that cost $350,000 running up and
down the streets," said Les Fujimoto, a Yorba Linda real estate agent.
"You don't see that in Yorba Linda."

"Yorba Linda is mom and pop and apple pie," said Carole Geronsin, an
agent with Prudential California Realty who sells homes there. "In
general, most everybody there is unpretentious. They're not flashy. ...
They're very fiscally conservative. You'll find wealthy people living in
homes you'd be surprised they're living in because they don't believe in
flash."

Mayor Allen Castellano said when the city invests in maintaining the
infrastructure, it attracts residents with higher incomes to move into
the community.

"People pay a little more for home here," Castellano said. "People have
to have a little more money to enjoy a certain type of living."

The census reported median household income for all cities with a
population of 65,000 or more. Yorba Linda was not included in previous
years because it fell below that threshold until 2004 or 2005.

Contact the writer: 714-796-5030 or rcampbell at ocregister.com

More from Business »

COMMENTS | PRINT | EMAIL |   SHARE