[FoRK] today

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 1 18:20:59 PDT 2013

> On 6/1/2013 4:51 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
>> I would base it on income disparity. The more, the better, because then
>> the more gardeners and servants you can hire.
>
> BTW, my friend highly recommends this book.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Part-One-ebook/dp/B005FC52L0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370130784&sr=1-1&keywords=wool
>
> As to the rest,
>
> Greg
>
> Yorba Linda is richest U.S. city
> Census data shows median household income of $121,075 higher than any other city in 2006.

Whoops!  Where'd that comma go?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorba_Linda,_California

My house in Ashburn (Loudoun County), Virginia, is in what has usually been the fastest growing county in the US since I moved there
in 1995.  Seems to have slowed, only 7.9% growth recently.

Highest median income is about distribution: Presence of high incomes plus absence of low incomes.  What you want to measure is some
quality of life / opportunity / investment measure where you can be very upwardly mobile while living inexpensively while having a
great environment.  A cool (figuratively) place to live like Sedona or a Caribbean island might be a cool location, but it's likely
to drain any resources you have.  NYC, DC, and the Bay Area are expensive, but they are expensive because the opportunity provides
nice upward mobility to the well-positioned so they can afford to compete for housing.

In the Midwest, you can live cheaply but you're going to have a hard time finding a job paying $200-300K or a startup that is likely
to make it big.  It is a slow grind, usually to no where.