[FoRK] today

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at jarbox.org
Sun Jun 2 01:01:37 PDT 2013

On Jun 1, 2013, at 12:35 PM, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why not NYC?  Crappy place, crappier weather.  Yeah, yeah, there's always pockets of someplace nice... but overall it just sucks.

It isn't for everyone. I've considered it but I've spent a lot of time there and it doesn't suit me that well.

> I'd chose Seattle over the Valley, if just because it doesn't all look like the same boring-ass office park.  The Valley's just one huge-ass clone of a New Jersey office park, but without the shitty winter weather and crappy attitude from the locals.  God, but it was an ugly place.

The Santa Cruz Mountains foothills have a lot of great neighborhoods but most of the population cannot and does not live there.

The bulk of Santa Clara county is the classic California sprawl you find in most California metros. What makes Silicon Valley "Silicon Valley" is the culture and history. If you remove the engineers, Silicon Valley is just another mediocre California suburb. Fortunately, Silicon Valley has a vast population of great engineers. It is the people, not the place.

I lived in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years, including many of the nicer parts. I still have a place there. But the reality is that the climate is more Sacramento than San Diego, good restaurants are a long drive from most neighborhoods, and most of the region is covered in unimaginative and vast tract housing projects that require getting into a car for almost everything. That is a "quality of life" I could get in Fresno.

Some people live in the great neighborhoods and that works. For everyone else, there are other cities with similar density of quality engineers and startups that can offer a living environment far better than The Fresno Experience (™) by most metrics. It could be Portland, NYC, Seattle, or some other place. It won't be Silicon Valley with respect to the things that make it genuinely unique but you can find a functional facsimile these days in very different kinds of city environments, which is something new.