[FoRK] One more reason to not care about movies

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Jun 10 09:17:24 PDT 2013

Howdy,

Oskar Kolberg was an etnographer, folklorist and composer, living in 19th
century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Kolberg

The Oscars is annually awarded prizes by some motion pictures academy.

"Ludowy Oskar" (Folk Oskar) is annually awarded prize for most interesting
folk events/initiatives. There is also "Kolberg Prize", awarded by Polish
Ministry of Culture and few cultural organisations.

Both "oscar" and "oskar" words are now trademarked in Poland (guess by
who), although I couldn't find since when. "Folk Oskar" is being awarded
since 2002.

Obviously, "Folk Oskar" has nothing to do with "movie Oscar". I wouldn't
care much about same name being used, but some other people cared and sued
Stowarzyszenie Tworcow Ludowych (Association of Folk Artists) for this.
They argue that "Folk O" parasites on fame and prestige of "movie O".
Well. About "prestige", I wouldn't bet. About fame, I'd say it is going to
be much more famed, since I wrote about it - and I wouldn't had I been not
pissed off by greed of some SOB bunch.

As a side note, it needs to be mentioned - one's strength can be easily
recognized by strength of one's enemies. I have long considered US-made
films harder and harder to watch (with some notable exceptions). Now, here
is even better, less subjective proof that US film industry is sinking.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola