[FoRK] Forwarded without comment

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 12 11:04:39 PDT 2013

On 6/12/13 9:42 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> On 6/12/13 9:13 AM, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
>> http://fork-free.tumblr.com/
>>
>>     @tinysubversions <https://twitter.com/tinysubversions> Did you
>> know that the widespread modern overbite is attributable to
>>     the adoption of forks? theatlantic.com/health/archive…
>> <http://t.co/Ak4pMV14rm>
>>
>>     — Shane Liesegang (@OptimistPanda) June 4, 2013
>> <https://twitter.com/OptimistPanda/status/341964618102611968>
>>
>> Forks are unnatural. It’s our imperative to excise them from our lives.
>>

> This _is_ part of our natural evolution.  Perhaps our main
> brain-building mutation from other primates concerns having a weaker
> jaw.  The fork may have been our latest evolutionary step, leading to
> real science and civilization which seems highly correlated.
>
> http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2004/03/24-03.html
> http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040322/full/news040322-9.html

So, FoRK is to the evolution of the Internet as the fork was to the
evolution of human society?  ;-)

> Various back-to-(supposed)-nature, various forms of vegan, etc. aren't
> necessarily natural or healthy.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/29/health/steve-jobs-all-fruit-diet
> http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2013/02/07/ashton-kutchers-fruitarian-diet-what-went-wrong
>
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/ashton-kutcher-fruit-diet-steve-jobs-pancreas-hospitalized_n_2566289.html
>

>> Ashton Kutcher's leading role as Steve Jobs in the biopic"jOBS" --
>> which recently premiered at /Sundance/
>> <http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20668484,00.html> -- took an
>> immediate and dangerous turn when, two days before filming began, the
>> actor was hospitalized with pancreas problems
>> <http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/26/ashton-kutcher-steve-jobs-sundance/1866023/>
>> after reportedly mimicking the Apple founder's diet.
>>
>> "First of all, the fruitarian diet
>> <http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/26/ashton-kutcher-steve-jobs-sundance/1866023/>
>> can lead to like severe issues," Kutcher told /USA Today/. "I went to
>> the hospital like two days before we started shooting the movie. I
>> was like doubled over in pain. My pancreas levels were completely out
>> of whack," Kutcher added. "It was really terrifying ... considering
>> everything."
>>
>> By several accounts, including Walter Isaacson's 2011 biography
>> /Steve Jobs/, the tech entrepreneur often went on fruit-only diets.
>> In fact, according to Isaacson, it was the inspiration for his
>> company's name: "I was on one of my fruitarian diets," Jobs
>> reportedly told Isaacson
>> <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/30/steve-jobs-last-words_n_1066211.html>
>> of the decision to call the computer company Apple.
>>
>> However, despite Kutcher's experiences, there is no evidence that a
>> fruit-only diet leads to pancreatic problems and it is certainly not
>> a risk factor for pancreatic cancer (the disease that killed Jobs to
>> which Kutcher alludes). In fact, a diet high in fruits and veggies
>> can actually /reduce/ the risk of pancreatic cancer, according to the
>> American Cancer Society
>> <http://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreaticcancer/detailedguide/pancreatic-cancer-risk-factors>.
>> Conversely, dietary risk factors for pancreatic cancer include
>> meat-heavy diets and diets high in processed foods.

Fruit, in a balanced diet, is very good.  However, it is a well-known
association that stressed organs tend to go bad more often than
unstressed organs, probably due to a variety of mechanisms including
poor reaction to pre-cancerous cells, which are common in everyone.  It
is possible, maybe probable if the Kutcher reaction is common, that
Jobs' diet killed him.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22796521