[FoRK] Australia / New Zealand?

Kieron Lawson kieron at developments.co.nz
Thu Jun 13 11:02:43 PDT 2013

Kiwi here - I'm in total agreement with the Australian, visit New Zealand :)

Air New Zealand has daily direct flights to Auckland from both SFO and LAX
(12 hours). Then domestic flight to Queenstown in the South Island (2 hours
approx).  Base yourself there, heaps of timeshare style options to choose
and a good location to base yourself for day trips.  Must do:
 - Milford Sound. Take insect repellent, sandflies are killer but a small
price to pay for stunning scenery
 - Any of the jetboating options - there's one that leaves the wharf in
Queenstown, goes up Frankton Arm, Kawarau River then Shotover River, but
the Shotover Jet is the most popular
 - Bungee Jumping
 - Lake Wanaka - Heaps of wineries in the area producing world class Pinot
Noirs
 - Day trip to Mt Cook, there is a great scenic flight that takes off from
Tekapo

Plus lots more. At the risk of being lambasted for posting a facebook link,
https://www.facebook.com/QueenstownNZ The photos speak for themselves.

If you want to see more of NZ, Rotorua is a good central location in the
North Island, Coromandel is stunning (Cathedral Cove in particular) but my
personal preference is Paihia in the Bay of Islands, at the top of the
North Island.

If you absolutely must see Australia, there are direct flights out of
Queenstown to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, and heaps of options to
return to SFO.

Damien's comment about your own car/camper van holds true in NZ too...but
you probably only need 4 weeks to cover the country well. This is actually
a much better option than locking yourself to one location, you'll get to
see a lot more.

Best time of year weather wise is typically late February-March.